Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to make brownies - a tutorial by Hayden Hernandez

This past Thursday my firstborn turned three years old.  How did this happen?  Where did the time go? When did he get so big?  And the more haunting question... how come I'm still carrying some of his baby weight?  All I know is that he has to stop growing this very instant!  I swear it was just yesterday that he looked like this...

Hayden - 2 weeks old.



But turn three he did - and all he wanted to do for his birthday was "make brownies all by myself!" He has recently hit the "independent" stage of wanting to do everything himself, and this is REALLY challenging for me as a parent.  Not because I don't want him to learn, or even long at times for him to not be quite so dependent on me for everything - the problem is patience appears to be one of those virtues that evaded me (do you know how long it takes a 3-year old to climb into their own car seat compared to how quickly you can put them in, especially when you're running late for work??!!) But on this occasion I saw this as an excellent way to encourage the tiny chef inside him so that one day my future daughter-in-law is thankful her husband can cook!   Just look at him, wouldn't you love this guy to bake brownies for you?


"Mommy can I pweeese make you brownies"

Wait a minute, scratch that... my darling, adorable, cutie-patootie is never getting married.  Nope, I'm pretty sure he intends to just love his mommy for the rest of his days and I'm encouraging the tiny cook in him so that one day he'll cook for ME!  What a brilliant plan! (Hey, before you burst my bubble just know disillusionment is my right as a parent!)



But onto brownies by Hayden:  (Click on the collage to view bigger)
Besides a few steps (like cutting with scissors, cracking the egg, pouring the batter into the 8x8 dish, and anything to do with the oven) he really did do the entire thing by himself - and he was SOOOOO proud of his accomplishment.

And I'm one proud mommy!  I really couldn't ask for a better 3-year old, and with that I need to go have some face-time with God and beg that He'll see fit to let Hayden stay small & wonderful like this...FOREVER!!!  Hey, a girl can dream right??


1 comment: