Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What I Made Wednesday: Bacon Wrapped Pineapple Chunks

Coming into summer and BBQ weather, it's always great to have a few quick BBQ friendly dishes you can put together for entertaining, or taking to a friend's or potluck.  My sister first introduced these bacon wrapped pineapple chunks to me and I've been hooked ever since.  They're always a crowd-pleaser - and they're easy to make too.



Okay so technically this post should be called, "What HE made Wednesday" because this was all Dave!  I'd like to think I was rubbing off on him and his culinary skills were being honed right here in my kitchen, but the closer truth is I was too busy with dinner/kids/dishes/anything else to come to his rescue for his mens' bible study BBQ where they were all supposed to bring a side dish ~ so he made these himself.


The most adorable chef I've ever seen!

And because I'm such a wonderful wife, I infuriated him further by insisting that I take photos of him throughout the process so he could be forced into being an (involuntary) guest blogger of mine. But isn't he cute... he smiles really good on cue.  I've trained him and my children well. And by trained I mean, they have learned to smile right away because they all know I'll keep snapping photos until they do.


Here's what you'll need:


Yep that's it... 1 package of bacon, 1 can of pineapple chunks, brown sugar (approx 3/4 cup) & toothpicks.



First thing to do is cut the package of bacon in half...right down the middle so you'll have twice the amount, in shorter lengths.

Please excuse the blurry photo... my hubby was in "action" and would not be slowed for photo taking!

Taking a half length of bacon dredge it in the brown sugar on both sides.



Then wrap it around a pineapple chunk and secure it with a toothpick.



Now rinse and repeat... oh wait, that's different directions.  Just keep dredging, wrapping, securing until you've used all your bacon, or all your pineapple, or both!



IMPORTANT STEP: Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack over top.  Do not be like Dave and just go for the naked broiling pan... because sugar, combined with pineapple juice and bacon caramelizes REALLY well onto the bottom of said pan.  Foil is your friend!!  Lesson learned.

Now throw these delightful appetizers in your oven to bake at 350'F for approx 30-35 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked through thoroughly.  If you like a crispier bacon, you can broil for a couple minutes at the end too.



And that's it... throw them in a paper towel lined dish and enjoy... they're delicious!!!

Good job honey, you can make these any time you like!!


BACON WRAPPED PINEAPPLE CHUNKS

Ingredients:
1 pound of bacon
1 20oz can of pineapple chunks
3/4 cup of brown sugar
toothpicks

Directions:
1.  Cut your bacon strips in half.  Dredge each strip of bacon in the brown sugar on both sides and then wrap around a pineapple chunk and secure with a toothpick.

2.  Line a baking tray with foil and place bacon wrapped pineapple on wire rack over tray.  Bake at 350'F for 30-35 minutes, or until bacon is cooked thoroughly.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully delicious!!...I can atest to having tested quite a few between Kelly and Jodi, and really should just make up a whole batch for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these tonight and my hubby loved them! Thanks for the great recipe Kelly! Your blog is fun to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete