Here's all you need:
Start by baking your cake according to the package directions.
* That usually means adding 3 eggs, 1/3 cup of vegetable oil and 1 cup of water.
As soon as your cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over it. I used the handle of a wooden spoon.
In a separate container, dissolve 3 oz of jello powder with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Whisk until jello is fully dissolved.
Then pour that jello evenly over the entire cake so the jello saturates all the holes. Now let the cake cool completely and then refrigerate for a couple hours, overnight is even better.
The last step is to top your delicious cake with cool whip. I let my container of cool whip sit in the fridge with the cake over night so it was easy to spread.
At this point, you can decorate the top with fresh fruit - perhaps for 4th of July.
Or maybe with some sprinkles for a fun BBQ dessert.
Or turn it into a birthday cake, like I did last week.
Whatever you do on the top... this is what awaits you when you cut into this amazing dessert.
The jello creates pretty streaks of red (or whatever color jello you used) throughout your cake. It also creates a super moist, super light cake and it's delicious served COLD straight from the fridge.
Just be warned, it's SOOOO good, it could make you go cuckoo for cake.. just like this:
JELLO POKE CAKE
1 box of yellow or white cake mix (prepared and baked to package directions)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 3-oz box of jello (strawberry, raspberry, cherry, lime - your choice)
1 container of cool whip
1. Preheat oven to 350'F. Bake cake according to package instructions.
2. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke holes all throughout your cake.
3. Mix 3oz of jello powder with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Whisk together until jello is fully dissolved, and then pour evenly over your cake.
4. Allow cake to cool completely and then refrigerate 2-3 hours, or longer.
5. Top with cool whip and ENJOY!!