Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Roasted Broccoli

Have you ever roasted broccoli?  If the answer is no I encourage you to try it IMMEDIATELY.

I grew up eating all manners of roasted vegetables, but it wasn't until recent years that I discovered the AMAZING GOODNESS of roast broccoli.  It's a wonderful alternative to steaming it or stir-frying.


Broccoli florets, EVOO, Yellow bell pepper, Montreal steak seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder & salt!

I needed a quick easy meal tonight, so this is what I did for my vegetable side.  Fresh broccoli of course works wonderfully, but frozen did it for us tonight!




Start by putting your broccoli in a roasting pan or shallow dish.



I sliced up a yellow bell pepper, because 1.) I like the taste and the sweetness contrasts nicely with the broccoli flavor, 2.) it's a pretty color - and I think food needs color!!  I've used red peppers, frozen stir-fry mixes and also just skipped the addition altogether - all manners of veggies seem to work great with this. 


Now pour a little EVOO over it... not too much because you don't want to drown it, but just a good drizzle.


Then I season it with some strange seasonings... but trust me, the combinations works AMAZINGLY with the broccoli.  I start with Montreal Steak seasoning... for this amount of broccoli I used probably a good teaspoon but season to taste.  (I'm not much for measuring.)  I also sprinkled garlic powder and chili powder and some salt... probably 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of each.


Toss those all together so the seasonings and the oil evenly coat everything and then throw it in your oven at 400'F for about 25-30 minutes, or until the broccoli has reached your desired tenderness.  I like to broil mine for a couple minutes sometimes at the end to add a little char to the broccoli... oh so delicious!!!


Roasting your broccoli gives it a rich, almost nutty flavor that will BLOW YOUR MIND!!  The seasonings (bizarre as they may sound for broccoli) really compliment it well and when my 3-year old asks for seconds on the "bwock-wee" I know I've done something right!!



I served mine up with some grilled chicken and wild rice - BON APPETIT!!

ROAST BROCCOLI
Prep time: 5-mins, Cook time: 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS:  
(measurements are approx, season to taste)
2 cups broccoli florets
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of Montreal Steak Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
Dash of salt

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 400'F
2.  In a shallow dish or roasting pan, combine broccoli florets with bell pepper.  Drizzle EVOO over top and add steak seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder and salt.
3.  Toss all together until coated evenly and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.
4.  OPTIONAL:  Broil for last couple minutes to add char.  Serve immediately.




4 comments:

  1. Bet it tastes as good as it looks..and it looks wonderful!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea - I've been stuck in a vegetable rut since I discovered those microwave steamer bags from Ziploc. (They are miraculous but they lure you in with their seductive ease and pretty soon the only vegetable you're eating is broccoli steamed in the microwave.) I'll try roasting it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this tonight, since I have broccoli lovers in my family. but... my yellow pepper cost $1.81!!! ouch. but worth it, I agree! :)

    ReplyDelete