Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Chicken Enchiladas

Growing up in New Zealand I never had Mexican food!  Even though New Zealand is a melting pot of culture - apparently South America skipped over our little country.  So my first experience with the stuff was Taco Bell (yes I realize, hardly authentic) when we moved to the States in 1992 and the spices were so foreign to me back then I couldn't even handle the mild taco sauce.

Over the years I have grown much more accustomed to the tastes and flavors of Mexican food and it has become one of my favorite cuisines.  I've even worked myself up the "heat" scale with salsa from mild to medium and sometimes even hot... okay, not so much the hot, but medium is leaps and bounds from where I started so I'll pat myself on the back anyway.

Dave really enjoys spicy foods, and so Mexican-inspired* dishes grace my kitchen often... avocado corn salsa, fajitas, tacos, chicken tortilla soup, Mexican cream cheese chicken, just to name a few, and this recipe for chicken enchiladas.

* Inspired means that if it's not truly authentic you can't judge me!!

Here's what you'll need: (for regular recipe scroll to the bottom)

Chicken, green chiles, cheese, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, sour cream, flour tortillas and enchilada sauce.
Start by chopping up some chicken.  If you're vehemently  opposed to chopping and you'd rather shred... be my guest.  You can cook your chicken whatever way you want (boil, broil, poach, fry, saute, roast) and use whatever kind of meat you like (breasts, tenders, thighs, dark meat, white meat) but you'll need approximately 3 cups worth.  

As for me - I picked up a nice rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store, picked that sucker apart and congratulated myself on all the time I saved in cooking it!!!

To your beautiful bowl of chopped (or shredded) chicken add 1 cup of shredded cheese.  Yes, I used cheese from a bag - it was easy!  


Add a 4oz can of green chiles.


1 teaspoon of chili powder.

And 1 teaspoon of cumin.


Throw in a generous portion of cilantro... the recipe calls for 1/3 cup, but I like to spoil myself. 


And then 1/2 cup of sour cream.  


Mix it all together - the sour cream should moisten everything but not turn it into a soup.  If you need to add more - do so until it's the consistency you like.


Now go ahead and spread some of that delightful mixture ALL OVER your tortilla... you want the goodness in every bite after all, not just in the middle!


Roll them up and lay them seam side down in a 9x13 pan.  Usually you'd get 6 enchiladas but I built a couple "big daddy's" at the end for Dave so 5 it is! 

 Pour a can of your favorite enchilada sauce over top.


 And then top with another cup of cheese.

Now - throw this in the oven at 350'F for 35 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.


Mmmmm....cheesy, chickeny, enchilada goodness!

Now serve yourself up a good portion on a plate, top with some sour cream (if you're me) or throw on some salsa or hot sauce (just like my hubby) and enjoy!!!


We sure did!!!

* I also make this recipe with ground beef. I brown the hamburger with some chopped onion, season with taco seasoning, omit the green chiles, chili powder & cumin and add in some corn.  Both versions are excellent!! 

CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Prep time: 10 minutes    Cook time: 35 minutes     Ready in: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked chicken
2 cups shredded cheese, divided
1-4oz can green chiles
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup cilantro
1/2 cup sour cream
1-10oz can enchilada sauce

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350'F
2.  Mix together chicken, chiles, 1 cup cheese, chili powder, cumin, cilantro and sour cream.
3.  Spread evenly over flour tortillas, roll up and place seam side down in a 9x13 pan.
4.  Top with enchilada sauce and remaining cup of cheese.
5.  Bake for 35 -40 minutes or until golden brown.

4 comments:

  1. Does sound good..so does the hamburger one ..who knows..I just may brave this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I think I know where you got that DELICIOUS recipe from!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right indeed... original credit goes to the fabulous Jod-a-la-mode for this delectable dish!

    ReplyDelete